Lions Mane Mac 'N Cheese
A vegetarian “seafood” mac n’ cheese recipe made with Lion's mane
mushrooms. Lions mane mushrooms have the taste and delicate texture of crab/lobster meat.
• 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked less than al dente, drained and
rinsed with cold water
• 1 pound lump lions mane sautéed
• 7 tablespoons butter, divided
• 1/2 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
• 1 cup diced yellow onion
• 1 TBSP minced garlic
• 1/3 cup flour
• 3 cups whole milk
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning
• 1–1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
• 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste!
• 1–1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 1–1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
• 1–1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• Fresh chopped parsley (garnish)
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Add lions mane lumps to dry skillet on medium-low heat for 5-10
minutes, stirring regularly until the mushrooms sweat out most of
their water content. Once lightly browned, add oil/butter to finish
the frying. Once the lions mane is brown on all sides, add garlic
and the Old Bay seasoning and stir to coat evenly. Remove the
Lions Mane from the stove and let cool.
• In a large saucepan, melt sections of butter. Transfer about 2
tablespoons of the melted butter to a medium bowl and toss with
the panko bread crumbs.
• Add diced onions and garlic to melted butter in saucepan and
cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
• Add flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
• Add milk and whisk until smooth.
• Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook
until thickened, whisking constantly.
• Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Old Bay Seasoning.
• Remove saucepan from burner. Add cheeses and stir until
smooth. Fold in macaroni, lions mane mushrooms.
• Transfer to an oiled casserole dish.
• Top evenly with buttery panko bread crumbs.
• Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bread crumb topping is golden
• Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional).