Lions Mane "Crab" Cakes
A vegetarian “crab" cake recipe made with Lion's mane mushrooms. Lions mane mushrooms have the taste and texture of crab/lobster meat.
• 1 pound lions mane shredded to mimic lump crab meat
• 1/4 cup of mayonnaise (add more if needed)
• 4-6 cloves minced garlic
• 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
• 1 egg - beaten (or 1/4 cup aquafaba)
• 3 Tbsp parsley
• 1/4 minced onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
• 1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
• 2 tsp dijon mustard
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
• 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
• Add lions mane lumps to dry skillet on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the mushrooms sweat out most of their water content. Once lightly browned, add oil/butter to finish the frying. Once the lions mane is brown on all sides, add garlic and the Old Bay seasoning and stir to coat evenly. Remove the Lions Mane from the stove and let cool.
• Whisk the egg (or aquafaba), mayonnaise, parsley, Dijon mustard, Vegan Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt together in a mixing bowl. Once the mixture is uniform, add the cooled lion's mane and panko bread crumbles. Carefully fold the lion's mane and bread crumbs into the mixture together. Add either more mayonnaise or more bread crumbs to get the mixture to the correct water content so it holds together.
• Cover the mixture and place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour (or up to a day) to allow the mixture to solidify.
• Form the mixture into “cakes” or patties about 4” in diameter.
• Cakes can either be pan-fried on medium heat in oil until each side is brown or they can be baked at 450 degrees for 12-15 min or until browned on the top.
• The finished cakes can be brushed with melted butter and/or served with fresh lemon juice.
• Leftover crab cakes can be refrigerated for a few days or frozen for longer-term storage.